Recently I’ve come across a new website called myrecipes.com. It features recipes from one of my favorite magazines (Cooking Light). That’s where I found the salmon recipe below. Remember, if you’re not fond of salmon, I still encourage you to try it or one of my other salmon recipes: Dry-Rubbed Salmon with Cucumber Relish, Salmon with Honey Mustard Glaze, or Chili Garlic Glazed Salmon. The reason being that my husband always used to say he did not care for salmon. He said what many others say…‘it has a fishy taste’. Well, that perception changed when I started cooking it at home, since it’s my favorite fish! I think the key to introducing salmon to someone is by preparing it many different ways. Some recipes may have a sweet taste, while others spicy, etc. Through experimentation with many meals my husband now LOVES salmon. That’s why I was excited to try out this recipe; just another possibility.
Because we eat salmon quite often (2 to 3 times per week), I make things easier on myself by buying a large fillet of salmon (2-3 lbs) on the weekend and cutting it into 6 oz. serving sizes. Then I place 2 fillets in a Ziploc bag (quart size works perfectly) and freeze them. When I know we’re going to make salmon I simply pull a bag out of the freezer, the night before, and let it thaw in the fridge. Now our house is always conveniently stocked with salmon. It can’t get any easier than that!
The below recipe is quite simple and what I like is that you have the option to cook it in a skillet or bake it in the oven. With summer quickly approaching, you can easily grill it as well! Before you begin chopping and assembling the salsa, watch the following video links to learn how to easily peel kiwi and quickly dice mangoes. Trust me, you’ll save yourself time.
When the fillets came out of the oven, they looked delicious! For the finishing touch I topped them with the mango kiwi salsa as well as served some on the side each. When looking at the completed dish, you’d swear it came right out of a seafood restaurant. It’s hard to believe that an elegant dish like this can be so easily prepared at home. We couldn’t wait to dig in! The salmon tasted wonderful. It had a nice, sweet taste while the salsa tasted light and refreshing. With every bite we couldn’t help but think summer is right around the corner.
Salmon with Mango Kiwi Salsa
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Total Time: 32 mins.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (6 oz.) salmon fillets
- Non Stick Cooking spray
Mango Kiwi Salsa:
- 1/2 cup peeled mango, diced
- 1/2 cup peeled kiwifruit, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- In a small bowl, combine all marinade ingredients (except for cooking spray). Mix thoroughly; pour into a medium sized Ziploc bag. Note: If choosing the option to bake fillets, pre-heat oven to 400˚F.
- Add salmon fillets to Ziploc bag; seal and place in the refrigerator. Marinate for 10 minutes (or longer if desired); turn occasionally.
- While fish marinates, assemble salsa. Combine all ingredients; stir well. Place in refrigerator.
- Remove fish from Ziploc bag; discard marinade.
- Cook in a skillet (option A) or bake in the oven
(option B). Follow accordingly:
Option A: Lightly coat a large skillet or grill pan with non stick cooking spray. Add fish; cook 5 minutes on each side or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Option B: Lightly coat a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Bake at 400˚F for 10-12 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Top fillets with mango kiwi salsa as well as serve on the side. Serve and enjoy!