Ryan and I love Mexican food, so I thought we could try making a healthier version of quesadillas. I’ve come across vegetarian recipes for quesadillas and when I saw this one, I thought it sounded pretty good. Plus Ryan and I just bought our own tortilla press! I’m going to attempt to make homemade corn tortillas (the authentic Mexico kind) soon. I figured if we like this recipe then I can make it down the road when I’ve mastered the tortillas.
The quesadillas cooked to perfection and came out a wonderful golden brown color. Ryan and I both agreed they tasted quite good and wouldn’t mind adding these into our weekly meals. The filling had a really nice texture and in all honestly I didn’t miss having meat. I found that I enjoyed the spinach and mushrooms incorporated into the filling but because there was such a small amount the flavors weren’t very prominent. When I make this dish again, I plan to double the amount of spinach and mushrooms.
Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas
Adapted from recipe #370331 by CaliforniaJan, food.com
Prep time: 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 (8 inch) flour or whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- salsa, for garnish
- sour cream, for topping if desired
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, spinach, and mushrooms cooking until softened; about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in beans and corn. Then add sugar, salsa, and pepper flakes; mix well. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle oil in a large skillet (enough to lightly coat the bottom) over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Spoon bean mixture on top of cheese and again sprinkle with cheese.
- Place another tortilla on top. Cook until golden then flip and cook the other side. Repeat process with remaining tortillas and filling.